The place where Sport Lisboa e Benfica’s old secretariat was located, now a property of Benfica Foundation, is a place whose history goes back to the 1st century. When Lisbon was still called Olisipo, the place was crossed by a major Roman road exiting the city. On later years it was the place where the Porta de Santo Antão of King Ferdinand’s medieval wall was located and then harboured the Inquisition Palace and its garden. These were the structures which gave the name to the Portas de Santo Antão Street and to the Jardim do Regedor Street (jardim is the Portuguese word for garden).
The building, included on the reconstruction plan of the city following the 1755 earthquake, was built in the mid-19th century for residential purposes. It went on to become one of the most famous night clubs in Lisbon, the Bristol Club (1918-1928), and has been occupied by Sport Lisboa e Benfica since 1933.
In the reception area, a timeline takes the visitor to travel through twenty centuries of a place with history.
Grupo de Estudos Olisiponenses